I have compiled this tricky little list to test your ability to ferret the
truth from a group of widely believed, yet erroneous notions.
Only four of the following statements are factual.
Which are they?
- Chop suey is a Chinese dish.
- A police officer has the legal right to commandeer your automobile.
- A stock split increases the value of that stock.
- Hypnosis is a form of mind control.
- Log cabins are not as strong as conventional homes.
- The stripes on an African tiger are black.
- The 21st century began on January 1, 2000.
- Water conducts electricity.
- On average, winters are colder in the northern hemisphere.
- Your automobile tires do not conduct electricity.
- Cholesterol is bad.
- A pound of gold weighs more than a pound of feathers.
- The © character is a required component of a valid copyright.
- Citizens of India worship cows regularly.
- There is no such thing as an infinite number.
- Wealth is destroyed during a stock-market decline.
- Marijuana usage leads to hard drugs.
- Coffee reduces drunkenness.
- It is improper to end a sentence with a preposition.
- Black and white are colors.
- A light-year is a measurement of time.
- Many candy bars can be purchased for .89¢ or less.
- The stripes on an African tiger are yellow.
- Potatoes are fattening.
- Florida is America's southernmost state.
- A person cannot testify against his/her spouse in an American court of law.
- Sherlock Holmes famously said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
- There are many species of dogs.
- An Internet web page lacking a copyright designation is legally unprotected.
- Ostriches bury their heads in the sand.
- A pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold.
- Every day ends at midnight.
- The primary colors are red, blue, and yellow.
- A koala is a bear.
- The recent stock-market bubble was not identifiable as such at the time.
- The earth is round.
- When Monte Hall offered to let a contestant swap doors, there was no advantage in doing so.
- Your car gets better mileage at 20 mph than at 40 mph.
- Ben Franklin's kite was struck by lightning.
- Humans use only about 10% of their brains.
- The twelfth president of the United States was David Rice Atchison.
- "Play it again, Sam" is from the movie Casablanca.
- Nero fiddled while Rome burned.
- Being in a higher tax bracket is bad.
- Hawaii is America's westernmost state.
- Mice like cheese.
- There is no mention in the Bible of Adam and Eve eating an apple.
- Lightning never strikes twice in the same place.
- The summit of Mount Everest is the land point farthest from the center of the earth.
- Chinese checkers originated in China.
- "Beam me up, Scotty" is from the original Star Trek series.